Who doesn’t know about Hollywood? Located in Los Angeles, California, this is a famous spot for filming movies and TV series. This city has many iconic locations like Universal Success, Hollywood Walk of Fame and the most popular Hollywood sign.
History Of Hollywood
The Hollywood sign was made in 1923 while the Hollywood Walk of Fame was launched in 1958. Do you know when the first star was placed in the Walk of Fame? It was the year 1960 when this iconic thing happened and has been happening since then. But, there are many hidden unknown facts that the common people don’t know about Hollywood and the Walk of Fame.
Did You Know How The Place Got Its Name?
H. J. Whitley, the ‘Father of Hollywood’, named the place Hollywood. Legend says that people were very much impressed by a beautiful shrub which looked like holly and named the newly dug place its name. The shrub that might have led to the naming of this place was named ‘toyon’.
This beautiful place in Los Angeles is a dream destination for every young actor and actress. Tourists from across the globe yearn to witness the luxurious, glamorous lives that the actors and actresses live.
Top 10 Unknown Facts About Hollywood
Without much further ado, let us get into knowing some of the unknown facts about this famous place.
- You must all be knowing Frank Sinatra, the famous musician. He has 3 stars on the Walk of Fame – one each for music, films, and television.
- An actor or actress has to pay $30,000 to put their star on the famous walk of fame.
- The sign initially showed ‘Hollywoodland’ which was given its present form in 1949.
- The famous actress, Peg Entwistle, committed suicide by jumping off from the letter ‘H’ in the year 1932.
- ‘In Old California’ was the first movie to be filmed in Hollywood. Moreover, this was also the first movie that was entirely made in that city.
- The letters of ‘Hollywood’ were initially 50ft high when in spelled out ‘Hollywoodland’. When the name was changed, even the height of the letters was reduced to 45ft.
- Neil Armstrong and the Apollo XI are not a part of the Hollywood industry but still have their stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- The famous boxer Muhammad Ali’s star is not placed on the sidewalk but is instead on the wall of Kodak Theatre. Wondering why? It is because he did not want to be “walked over”.
- The Capitol Records Tower has blinking lights on its roof. Those lights spell out a morse code which says “Hollywood.” It has been that way since 1956.
- In the 1920s, the Hollywood sign used to be lit up by thousands of bulbs. The man who changed the burnt bulbs used to live in a log cabin near the sign.
To Give It Away…
Every place has its own little secrets. Some of them might not be so ‘little’ as people say. While some place may even have many ‘little’ secrets. So does Hollywood. This famous place has even more unknown facts than the one listed above and maybe we don’t even know them.
But, who cares?
This beautiful city has etched its place in people’s hearts and people all across the world dream to go there. Once in a lifetime, people should visit this beautiful place and get mesmerized by its mesmerizing beauty.